A Friend Remembered
Henry Kimberly had a passion for Oshkosh—helping it grow and making sure that services, including quality health care, were available to sustain a high quality of life. Henry's involvement with Mercy was very personal and he took an active interest in seeing that it served the Oshkosh community well. He served on the Mercy Medical Center Board for 32 years between 1953 and 1986, retiring as Chairman Emeritus. During his tenure Henry was a driving force, continually advancing the health care and services available to Oshkosh area residents. Under his leadership, the Mercy building underwent three major expansions and land where the new Mercy now stands was purchased. Henry was always at the forefront of raising funds for hospital improvements.
Important service advancements, most of which were improved upon over the years and still serve patients today, include:
- the most complete nuclear medicine laboratory north of Milwaukee in 1962;
- a 16-bed orthopedic unit in 1969;
- a psychiatric unit in 1970;
- a formal and professional Pastoral Care Department in 1971;
- a Hospice program in 1978;
- a cardiac rehab program in 1979;
- the first full-body CT scanner in the Fox Valley in 1981;
- the first mobile breast screening and education program in the state in 1985.
Henry leaves an inspirational legacy of community service and commitment to quality community health care that will carry his memory far beyond his lifetime. He will not soon be forgotten, especially here at Mercy.